5.09.2010

Things I Never Want to Forget Part 1

-The way Janey says "knock-knock"--sounds more like "knock-ock."
-The way Breanne tries to teach Janey new words (example: Breanne: Do you know what enormous means, Janey? Janey: Nope. Breanne: It means really, Really REALLY big! (with arm motions denoting size). Janey: Oh, yeah), and the way Janey responds like she already knew it.
-Breanne's really loud and boisterous fake laugh.
-The hilarity and laughter in the van on the way home from visiting family. We were telling our favorite jokes (my personal favorite of the night: Janey: Knock-ock Breanne: Who's there? Janey: Me!!), and I love that Breanne is (kind-of) starting to understand what a joke really is. She laughs with this huge, fake laugh when she thinks you're at the punchline (whether you actually are or not). I love having fun with our family this way.
-Cailin smiling and cooing at me when things finally quiet down enough (and even her sly smile as she started to wet in the middle of a diaper change, like she thought she was being so funny and sneaky). I also love her face when I can tell that she wants to smile, but is trying to hide it. So sweet.
-Trying to trick the girls into believing they're a different person in our family (sample conversation: Me (to Janey): Hey, are you Breanne? Janey: No, my Janey! (pointing to herself) Me: Oh, I must be Breanne. Janey: No, you mommy. Me: No, I'm Janey! Janey: No, MY JANEY! (enter Breanne) Breanne: Yeah, that's Janey, and I'm Breanne. Me: Wait, you're Breanne? I thought *this* was Breanne (pointing at Cailin). (continue until everyone is laughing too hard to keep it up, or Janey loses interest)).
-Being woken up to a loud chorus of "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!" from my girls and Cory, and reading their sweet cards.
-The excitement in Breanne's face when she gave me her gift from school--she was SO anxious for me to open it that she couldn't wait for today, I got to open it on Thursday instead.
-Breanne signing "I love you, Mom" after church today.


Lately I've been having a hard time feeling very involved in my children's lives. I know I'm around them 24/7, but I really haven't been feeling very productive, and have just generally been frustrated. Earlier this week, I resolved to try to be more active in my kids lives, being willing to do more of the things they request, more proactive in coming up with activities for them to enjoy, and less involved in this digital world I'm also a part of. It has been so wonderful to reconnect with my kids, and really just remember how much I love them. These simple little games, the jokes, just looking into Cailin's eyes and gurgling back at her--I honestly just never want to forget these moments. I have laughed more this past week than I have in a long time. I am SO blessed to be the mom to these three sweet little girls, and the wife of such a wonderful man. I hope to stay more on track now, and to always be able to feel so thankful. For the first time in a while, the gifts on this holiday were not important--just knowing that I am loved, and have these wonderful 4 people to love in return is perfect.

6 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

I love this Jessie. You are an amazing mom.

BECKY said...

SO wonderful. Happy Mother's Day!!!

Lucia said...

Awww, this is such a sweet post! Moments like these really make being a mom GREAT, and totally worth the tricky times. My kids love the identity switch game too- it's completely entertaining.

Erika said...

Such a great post. I may have to copy you and list some of my favorite things about Bekah.

gilian said...

Tannie is right. You are an amazing mom.

The Kilger Family said...

So, reading this makes me really want to start writing in a journal. There are so many things that I don't want to forget about my girls, and things I'd like to forget but probably shouldn't. :)