10.01.2011

My Heart is So Happy

If you've been around my blog for a while, you might remember this post. I was pretty heart broken when we woke up to the news that the Provo Tabernacle was burning down, just a few blocks from our home. The tabernacle was in our ward boundaries--we'd attended events and stake conference there, and also had worked on the grounds. It was a special building to us, and despite its old style quirks, we loved it. Every time I drove past it after the fire, then just an empty shell of what it once was, it made me sad inside.

Well, not anymore! It was announced this morning that not only will the exterior be restored, but it will be turned into a temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You can see a rendering of what it might look like here. So beautiful, and such a wonderful transformation for the building it once was.

I can't even tell you how much this has touched my heart. Cory's been laughing at me all morning because I'm all teary about this, when I am not normally a cryer. It's just been proof to me, once again, of our Heavenly Father's love for us. The people in our Provo neighborhood will be so blessed by the temple being there, and I couldn't be happier for them. The only sadness I'm feeling is that we won't be there, to walk to the temple (instead of the hour-ish commute we have now). That building, which has been used for so many years to preach the word, will now become even more sacred. What a special, special thing.

Call me corny if you must, but I just keep thinking--They're turning a tragedy into a temple! My heart is so, so happy right now.

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

"like"

I know it's not Facebook, but that's really all I can say. SO COOL. :)

Watt Family said...

I agree! It makes me happy too! I wish I could be there too!

Tannie Datwyler said...

I like this a lot Jessie. Thanks for sharing!

And I TOTALLY thought about you when I was writing my review on The Grapes of Wrath and how you and I talked and talked about the book and both decided that despite it's reputation that we didn't HATE the book. :)

I also wanted to comment on your comment about Cailin and library story time. I hope I didn't make you feel bad... I TOTALLY understand that sometimes kids are super spirited and there is little you can do to contain it. I was just so frustrated to watch all those kids interfering with my children's enjoyment of the event.

Linus is very wild - which is why I was super surprised that he sat so well for story time (he's older than Cailin by quite a bit though, so I'll bet she chills over time like him).

Do you remember what Julie B Beck said in last general conference about the spirits of the children today needing to be strong? She said that they need those strong spirits to survive in this hard word, and that we as parents can still teach them - it just takes more time and patience which I know you have in abundance.

pinksuedeshoe said...

I was so happy too! I can't wait to visit. I drove past it a little while ago and saw that they were restoring the building and I wondered if it would remain a tabernacle or if they would change it to something else. Tada! So so awesome!