11.17.2008

Dishes

So today one of my friends dropped by with her kids to play.  We were excited to have new friends to play with (we don't play with them too often), and pretty quickly the kids were all over the house, having a great time, I think.  Breanne was even willing to share most of her toys, once she woke up enough to play (she had been napping before they came, and was trying to decide if she wanted to be awake or asleep when they knocked on our door).  Breanne was a little bit hungry after some playing, so I made some quick snacks of Ritz crackers and peanut butter, which the kids all seemed to enjoy.  When I turned around from doing that, I found my friend unloading my dishwasher.

This surprised me.  In a good way, though.  At first she said that she didn't feel like she really knew a person until she knew where their dishes went.  I laughed, and probably said something about how mine generally went in the sink or on the counter.  Later, though she told me that she wanted more friends that she was close enough to that she could serve by doing their dishes, or laundry, or whatever.  I was just flattered that she wants to be my good friend, and very appreciative of the service.  I had been trying to convince myself to just go do the dishes all day, and she made it fun because we were doing something so simple! and productive together.  Her attitude towards service was so enlightening to me.  I've been pretty caught up in my own little world lately, when this really is the season for giving and serving.  That's what this whole life is about, really.

It sometimes amazes me that there are such nice and wonderful people in this world.  I'm grateful to have a few of those people close to me, both as family and as friends.

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

That's probably one of the most awesome things I've heard in a long time! I remember when my youngest sister was born (I was 12) and was in the hospital with health complications for weeks...People would bring meals, flowers, cards, etc. But I remember there was a lady in our ward who would come clean our bathrooms. I remember at the time thinking it was strange, but now that I'm older, I've decided that's definitely something I should be doing for people when their lives start to get overwhelming.

Mandi said...

Thanks for sharing that, Jessie. That is profound and refreshing.

gilian said...

keep ahold of that friend, friend.

Lucia said...

That kinda makes me almost cry- in a good way. thanks jess.