11.24.2008

Yummy Stuff

So today I made a new recipe--Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup. I thought it was delicious. The site I found it on, if you aren't familiar with it already, is entitled "A Year of CrockPotting," and it's run by a girl who is making something in her crockpot every day. I've really enjoyed looking at all the things she's made, and trying out a few of the things myself.

Anyways, I thought the soup was great--my beans weren't quite done cooking after 6 hours on high, though, which was disappointing, since I also soaked them all night last night. I also omitted the mushrooms, and used (drained) canned corn instead of frozen. Cory ate a bowl full over rice, but didn't love the soup... but he doesn't love many soups. My brother- and sister-in law ate with us tonight, too--my brother-in-law ate two bowls full, my sister-in-law (who is super super picky... :) ate exactly one half a bite with zero beans in it. All in all, I though, I thought it went over pretty well--it wasn't nearly as spicy as I expected it to be, with 2 cups of salsa in it and all, but it had a great flavor. I love using my crockpot, it makes my evening so much easier when I don't have to figure out what to cook at the last minute. I've always thought meal planning was a good idea in theory, but we've never implemented it around here (Cory doesn't like the ridgidity of the schedule...), so I always feel like I'm scrambling for a meal at the last minute. I love it when it's already taken care of.

2 comments:

Katie Rogerson said...

For the record, that bit of chicken tasted great! I'm just not a big bean and corn person. Among other things... haha But again, thanks for inviting us over. We had fun!

Cory & Kimmy said...

Katie is super picky! You took quite the risk inviting her over for dinner, but that soup sounds yummy! I love using the crock pot too!!